Wednesday 29 October 2008


We with Paula went to the gypsy village today. The children ran to her when we arrived and were calling her name. Then word spread and more and more came. They wanted to see the photographs she had taken on her last visit. The children like to pose. Even some of the adults wanted me to go into their homes to take photos.


The people of the village live an alternative lifestyle. They don't like to work and live like town folk and the children don't go to school. It is built beside a rubbish tip and the small makeshift houses are amongst mud and debris. I was surprised when I entered the first house, to find that it was incredibly warm! The stove burning in the corner doing a fine job and seeing to that. The woman held her baby and asked me to take a photo then she asked her husband to prepare himself for another photo. I was almost done but outside there was another woman waiting to take me to her house and do the same for her! The woman held their babies and the young boys posed like warriors. Everyone was wanting a piece!

No comments: